We went to the Zoo today! Leighton loved it. Let me start off by saying that last year at the zoo, I don't even think Leighton new that we were at the Zoo. He spent the whole time picking rocks of the ground and throwing them! The few times we saw animals close up, he was terrified and when the animals were far away, he didn't understand what he was supposed to be looking at.
This year was much more fun for him. McCabe on the other hand just thought we were on a walk, a long, hot walk!
I think this was the Sea Otter stop!

Then we saw the Sea Lions. This was for sure Leighton's favorite animal. At first he thought they were dolphins; At first I thought they were seals! By the 3rd time we passed them, he really new they were his favorite. He loves any animal that jumps into the water and swims. Too bad there isn't a Sea World in Des Moines ...or an ocean.



The Tortoise was amazing too. They were HUGE. Seriously, Meg and I were amazed at how big they were. We just couldn't get over their massive size. To make things easier, we just called them Big Turtles!


Feeding the Goats! Quinn and Leighton are great friends but are very different. Quinn loves touching animals, holding snakes, feeding goats, etc. Leighton is very skeptical of animals. He cried when he saw the caged tiger walking towards him, and this is the only time he let the goat lick him. For the first 10 minutes he wouldn't go near the goats, then he would try to get close and chicken out at the last minute, then he resorted to throwing the food into the hole when no goats were around. Finally, after watching Quinn do it like a hundred times, he got close enough to let the goat try to get the food. However Leighton kept such a tight grip on the food, and backed up as soon as the goat made contact, that the goat didn't even get the food. We got a season pass to the Zoo, so he will have more practice at feeding the animals. As for snakes, I hope he never likes touching them!


I always feel so bad that McCabe doesn't get to do as much of the fun stuff. I also feel bad that all of the pictures I have of him are always in his stroller! Soon he will be running around just like his brother! I think McCabe is super cute. He was wearing a cool giraffe t-shirt for his zoo trip!

It was a hot day but we had a great time at the Zoo! The 15 minute car ride home without Air Conditioning was a struggle however!
No comments:
Post a Comment